The DoD Community Relations website, OurMilitary.mil, is provided as a public service by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense-Public Affairs.
- Information presented on this website is considered public information and may be distributed or copied unless otherwise specified. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested.
- Privacy Act Statement: If you choose to provide us with personal information – like filling out a Contact Us form with e-mail and/or postal addresses - we only use that information to respond to your message or request. We will only share the information you give us with another government agency if your inquiry relates to that agency, or as otherwise required by law. We never create individual profiles or give it to any private organizations. Defense.gov never collects information for commercial marketing. While you must provide an e-mail address or postal address for a response other than those generated automatically in response to questions or comments that you may submit, we recommend that you NOT include any other personal information, especially Social Security numbers. The Social Security Administration offers additional guidance on sharing your Social Security number.
- We maintain a variety of physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information. For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
- Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration guidelines.
- Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
- If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here, please forward them to us using the our Contact Us page.
- For Use of Third-party Websites and Applications: Third-party websites and applications that are not owned, operated, or controlled by the Department of Defense are integral to Internet-based operations across the Department of Defense and OurMilitary.mil, and are used to augment official communication. These capabilities include, but are not limited to networking services, media sharing services, wikis, and data mashups. A list of the Defense Department’s authorized pages and uses of these services is listed at www.defense.gov/registeredsites/socialmediasites.aspx. These sites may collect personally identifiable information (PII) and may make it available to the Department of Defense and other users; however, the PII is not collected on behalf of, nor is it provided specifically for, the Department of Defense or OurMilitary.mil. The Department of Defense and OurMilitary.mil does not harvest and additionally collect, maintain, share, or otherwise use such PII for any purpose other than that for which it is made available to all users.”
If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here, please forward them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org